Friday, June 22, 2012

Beautiful Ruins by Jess Walter

One of the unexpected delights in the life of a reader is coming across a book like this one, Beautiful Ruins. I didn't know what to expect, but I am often attracted to books with Italy as a setting, and the blurb sounded intriguing. I am so glad I took a chance with an author that I normally would not read.


I'm not going to even attempt to recap the whole book, or even all the characters, and their individual story lines and plots, but Pasquale is the beautiful thread that strings the whole book together. He is wonderful, and I adore him! 'And because he felt like he might burst open and because he lacked the dexterity in English to say all that he was thinking--how in his estimation the more you lived the more regret and longing you suffered, that life was a glorious catastrophe--Pasquale Tursi, only said, "Yes."' Beautiful! Oh, how I loved this book, and all the author had to share. Jess Walters touches upon so many different themes about the human condition.


Very emotional, but in a good way! Human. Reading it was a joy.


5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment